Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What do you mean they are not real?

So I am writing away the other night. No maybe that is not quite right it was more like I was writing a chapter and then viciously scribbling it out, Lather, rinse, repeat. These events were accompanied by much huffing and puffing. Eventually Billy asked what the problem was. Poor poor Billy.

I told him that my characters kept wanting to do things other than what I wanted them to.

He looked at me with one of those long suffering looks that makes me want to smack the person and said "Melisa, you made them up you can make them do whatever you want."

Oh yeah cause it is THAT easy. If it was that easy every Tom Dick and Lucy would be a published author.

I tried to explain to him how characters take on lives and personalities of their own. How there was so much more to them than what gets put on paper. "I could tell you what color underwear they are wearing" I said trying to prove my point.

"Of course you can. You make up their underwear too."

ARGH he was so not getting the point. I mean really why would I say this if it was not true. Does he think I like sounding like a crazy woman?

I suppose technically he is right and I could write what I want them to do instead of what they want to do but it comes out really crappy so why bother.

On another completely unrelated note I washed Push last night. Good movie. Chris Evans just moved up a bit on my hottie list.



No comments:

Post a Comment